Document Reference NumberMS 76
TitlePapers of Norman Lockyer relating to the establishment, growth and maintenance of the Hill Observatory (renamed the Norman Lockyer Observatory in about 1921)
DescriptionIt also includes some reprints, instrument design sketches, inventory and balance sheets and letters from the period 1880-1950. The material documents the daily activities of the various committees, the financial development of the observatory and the reactions of noted scientists to the project. The collection is rich in personal and procedural information documenting the mechanics of this public appeal for the support of pure research. It includes a detailed list of the contents (by D. De Vorkin, July 1976) in a separate folder.
LevelFonds
Date1912-1930
Extent35 ‘folders’ in 8 boxes
OtherNumber1109043
AccessConditionsThe collection is open to bona fide researchers.
AccessStatusAvailable for general access
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020